Monday, March 19, 2018

provisioning round 2

After a mostly successful run at provisioning a month ago we are getting close to being ready! At least from my standpoint. 

This season’s menu is made up of these fine recipes:
Burrito casserole with tvp 
Tuna Macaroni
Chicken taquitos
Pepperoni pizza
Kielbasa, potatoes and onions

There are some familiar faces up there and for good reason. We know we like them and mostly the aren’t too time consuming. And then there are some new additions to our board. Last year we did hot dogs and this year I want to give kielbasa a shot. Josh’s mom makes the kielbasa/potato/onion combo (she also usually does bell peppers too) and has for years and it’s easy and tasty. It’s all stove top. The only really time consuming part is the dicing part of it. I don’t even peel my potatoes, just scrub them. Pizza is also a family favorite. The Cuban black beans and coconut rice is a dish I’ve been making for several years and I have no idea how this didn’t end up on the list last year! Easy, so tasty, and quick. Another standout is the burrito casserole. This one was actually a fluke. Several weeks ago I was trying to empty out my stores but also needed to grocery shop pretty bad and I also needed to feed my crew. So, I adapted a recipe that called for beef and made my own tvp taco meat and made this dish. It is also very very easy and a ridiculous amount of tasty.  The lentils and rice as well as Tuna macaroni are returning players and give us some variety. There are a few wild cards I have high hopes for. The Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta as well as the Chicken stuffing green bean casserole. The stuffing recipe in particular isn’t much to look at but I think it’ll be a good blend. Plus we are doing a few more vegetarian recipes this time with the Sweet Potato Curry, Crunchy Black Bean Tacos, Roasted Sweet Potato and caramelized onion wraps plus the TVP burrito casserole I already mentioned.

Another thing that is worthy of note is the fact that I tried to incorporate vegetables into the main dish. That way Fozel gets his veggies every meal and I’m not scrambling to come up with a veggie. I don’t actually have much room for canned or jarred fruits this season so the fruit is going to be tricky. Apples and citrus do relatively well but beyond that I am at a loss. I may end up buying some jarred things as well, but I will have to find some nonexistent space for them!

If there is one little tidbit from this season that I am observing this season already, it’s that black beans are going to be our star player this year. Somehow we have way more stuff (though this year I provisioned for 4 months whereas last I did only 3). Good thing we like 'em. I’ll report back if any of them are major fails and see if I can turn them around. 

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Ooooh these sound amazing! Is fresh fruit accessible to purchase in the Bahamas?