Tuesday, July 31, 2012

offer: accepted.

News, you guys! We are thrilled, though cautiously optimistic, to announce that our offer was accepted. Many steps are still between us and our dream boat but this is the first step in the right direction. Surveys and a sea trial will be scheduled beginning next week. More to come...

Saturday, July 28, 2012

and we're off.

We JUST sent off our offer to the brokerage. We feel confident and excited about this huge decision. We'll keep you posted!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

make 'em an offer....hopefully one they won't refuse.

You guys, this is stressful. We looked at the Union 36 again on Friday, toting along our laundry list of things to consider (the list Mr. Nigel Calder has in his book Cruising Handbook). On the way home we threw out concerns and ideas for upgrades, and of course next steps. This boat is slightly different than previous boats we've seen in that it's owned by a brokerage, not an individual. What does this mean, exactly? That's what we are trying to figure out. Actually, we feel it puts us in a good position. This particular brokerage is associated with a marina and has its own shop for repairs, upgrades, and just all around knowledgeable people. So we have the distinct comfort of knowing that any repairs necessary will be performed by professionals. The next steps: we'll make an offer, make sure the surveyor inspects the issues we feel the boat already needs fixed and hopefully they'll agree to fix them. We actually feel as if the boat is very well outfitted for our purposes. And in excellent condition. Fingers crossed!

Monday, July 9, 2012

back in the cockpit again.

After the disappointment that was Serena, I had been feeling sour. In my excited impatience, I thought this might actually go smoothly. How immature of me! I mean, it is after all, a floating house. Making a huge purchase of something with so many moving pieces, is fraught with complications. Look at our friends over at Windtraveler who are further along in the buying process. Analysis paralysis and blips, indeed. 

There are still many variables at play in our situation so again, hiccups and all, I feel pretty great about saying that we are back in the cockpit again. On the prowl and ready to pounce on a gem. I believe there are two that are very real, if slightly unattainable options on our horizon. Both are from the Robert Perry design catalog. One is 35' and one is 36' and both are priced within $5,000 of each other. They have full keels, and a classic look full of teak (oh my, when I saw both of them I swooned). Both are sturdy and sea-kindly to those of us with weaker constitutions. One is slightly better outfitted with a few features we want (brand spanking new engine and single-sideband radio, hello!). Actually, as I write this, I realize that the one with the new engine has even better berthing options as well and has already seen the Caribbean and been majorly upgraded in the last year ($40,000 worth). We are planning to see the more local one later this week and see if we still have that feeling about her. Fingers crossed.