Friday, November 21, 2008

take this job

There hasn't been much to post as of late, since we've been in a holding pattern for the last few months, but let me catch up on progress, and lack thereof. Josh and I were able to spend some time out on the Chicago Sails boats later on in the summer, which was a nice respite from life on land. I think we ended up going out three times together, though he went out pretty much every weekend with students who want to learn the art of the sail. Once we even took my aunt, uncle, cousin and his girlfriend out and learned that the 22' boats we use are not meant for fog. Yes, it was an adventure complete with seasickness and panic, which as far as I can tell, are requirements for people who have no experience on boats.
Now the boats are out of Lake Michigan, and we are trapped inside our winter coats and trying to survive the bitter winds that blow in from the lake.
The newest thing going on in our lives is Josh's imminent graduation from college. He's 3 weeks away and is completely over it. The last month has found him jet setting back and forth between here and the east coast interviewing for jobs. It's been stressful on both of us, but it feels like it's all about to pay off. In the last week and a half, he's received two job offers and after a second interview today, we're hoping for a third. The first offer that came in is for a company in Waukeegan and would mean Chicago would continue to be home. It wouldn't be so bad because Josh could continue to teach sailing at Chicago Sails once it warms up again and I could keep my job. We would be able to use the boats again, but as this year, I doubt it'll really put us on the water all that much.
The second offer came in yesterday and would put us in Macon, GA for the first year and we're not sure after that. It's for a railroad management position and the first year would be for training and then he'd get stationed, similar to how our life in the Navy was. It has a ton of perks but the down side is that if he takes the job with the railroad, he'd want to put in 5 years, which would push back our departure to a boat. So...we don't know what we're going to do. The possible third job is in Rhode Island and I don't know many details about it other than it's great money and a fair amount of travel. We'll be discussing and making a decision soon, as at least one of the companies wants a decision by Thanksgiving.